This was the final residence of William Howard Taft when he served as U.S. Chief Justice from 1921 until he passed away in 1930. Taft served as the first civilian Governor General of the Philippines (1900-1904), appointed by U.S. President William McKinley. He later became U.S. President (1909-1913) and remains the only person who served as both U.S. President and Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Although Taft is generally depicted as rotund, weighing some 300 pounds, he reportedly took walks every morning across Connecticut Bridge, the grand, historic bridge over Rock Creek Park on Connecticut Avenue. In 1931, the bridge was renamed in Taft’s honor.
Photo credit: Private collection
2215 Wyoming Avenue, NW, Washington DC. This building is presently the Embassy of Syria. Not open to the public.
Laura Bergheim (1992) The Washington Historical Atlas: Who Did What When and Where in the Nation’s Capital (Rockville: Woodbine); www.streetsofwashington.com.