The Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building (also known as the Old Executive Office Building) is next door to the White House and was originally built to house the offices of the State, Navy, and War Departments. The steps leading to the North Wing of this office building (which was previously the office of the War Department) feature two Spanish cannons from the Battle of Manila Bay. The 5” brass trophy guns were brought by Admiral Dewey from the Spanish Arsenal at Cavite following the triumph of the United States Navy over the Spanish Naval Squadron in 1898 during the Spanish-American War.
Photo credit: Private collection
Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Building. 725 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC. Open to the public. The cannons are located on the Pennsylvania entrance.
Congressional Record: Proceedings and Debates of the 106th Congress First Session: 25799. We thank Caro Alcuaz for directing our attention to these cannons.